Thursday, November 30, 2017

Coco

Lovely.

It's true that some of life's most beautiful things just fall out of the sky and land right in your lap...... Coco was one such.

A friend called and said "I'm in your part of town, want to catch Coco?". Thanks to no paper and no TV I hadn't even heard of Coco. Within the minute I received the trailer link on my phone. I said Yes, and within a couple of hours found myself in the theater, blissfully immersed in Coco land.


Coco is one of Pixar's most engaging films, I don't know how it's possible that they can outdo their own best but they've definitely done it yet again.

As story it's a simple enough theme of this little boy, Miguel, who has music in his blood, is in a family that is completely against music as the great great grandfather abandoned the family to follow his dream of music. The Rivera family lives in Santa Cecilia....and here's the mind blowing element. Miguel, the little boy through some complex mechanism lands in afterlife, searching for Ernesto de la Cruz, his great great grandfather, 

While Miguel is the hero, the movie is named after Coco, the great grandmother, and hinges on her feelings and memories of her father, a beautifully brought out sentiment, through the twists and turns that the story goes through.

The Mexican culture and way of life is so beautifully brought out. It was so full of marigolds and grandmothers and traditions, that I found I connected at the deeper level. 

The conceptualization of the afterlife was fascinating.  At it's core it's dealing with desire, fear and death. The emotions are raw and powerful. It all starts with the Dia de los muertos, the day of the dead, and it does raise some very fundamental questions in your mind. I can't say I didn't think of my grand mother sitting there.

I doubt there would be a dry eye when the emotional angle reached a peak...mine definitely weren't. 

Coco is beautiful.... hilarious, intellectually engaging, emotionally powerful, and an absolute visual treat, the animation is simply stunning....in Mexico and in the afterlife.........I'd go watch again

Here's a trailer peek:

No comments:

Post a Comment