Monday, April 27, 2015

To my dad.....

Well, this is coming out of my dad’s visit with me. It was just him and me for a few days, and I guess it gave me an opportunity to all over again acknowledge the depth of the relationship and what it’s meant to me. And yes, in also recognizing his gene handover ...... in the wonderful things....as also in the not necessarily so wonderful things :)

A couple of things that just stayed.....he's sitting in the balcony and says: you can always hear birds here...  it was interesting, because since then I haven't stopped hearing them and to think he could still direct me to something as interesting...

Then he calls an old friend of his and says 'come and spend the day with me'. A friend from college, that's like  sixty years back. What struck is the authenticity and depth, not just a catch up over coffee. I could so identify..... especially when it goes with an 'Asocial tag' that both of us carry :)



Kudos to this achievement !!

And while I'm at it,  I thought I'd also put out here some things I’d like to say to you, which I may or may not have said all these years. And just so I don't get carried away, I'm picking ten which mean much to me and the learning of which I'm grateful for:

1. Your ability to go after what you wanted irrespective of whether or not it made sense to the world.
2. Your trust and faith in life
3 Your courage to take big decision even against great odds
4. Your knowledge on just about anything....it made life so interesting
5. Your ability to laugh .........and to cry
6. Your making friends and keeping it genuine, and the priority you gave it in life
7. Your passion for trains, animals, books, travel .....that's still so alive
8. Your standing by your principles, the fights right into court so many times
9. Your sheer intelligence and capacity to learn .....like when that lawyer in high court told me.... your father knows more law than most of the lawyers here...amazing
10. Your ability to be happy and positive

I wonder for how many others I could write a list like this in less than a minute flat…..trust me there’s not too many….and what’s more I had to condense it down to ten. You are special.

And on a more personal level, your constant push to make me think, only the intensity of the questions changed over the years I guess...or maybe even not :) 

1) Why does a glass frost outside?
2) Why does the sun move across the horizon (not sky)?
3) Which is the nearest star?
4) Why do droplets of water particles flow towards other drops?
5) Would you want to be born again?

and on and on...even today

and through that you taught me the greatest gift of all......curiosity and wonder

eternally thankful, as I think I live a more enhanced life for it

Ronk zonk..... Am Cadaam 

2 comments:

  1. "TO MY DAD" Beautifully written article. But I really got confused and diverted after seeing the pic of Groundwater technology Handbook.

    Later I got back to the track as i read further.

    One statement/ compliment which I liked a lot is "Your father knows more law than most of the lawyers here"

    That directly or indirectly motivates Us ( being professional students)to have a detailed knowledge of anything in which we are interested.


    Thumbs up mam. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kusuma, what you said made me feel good...thanks.

    And yes, its good to draw inspiration where we can; and in learning definitely....it has no boundaries !!

    ReplyDelete