Friday, January 3, 2020

A parable

I heard a little story this morning, a Jewish parable from the Torah:

It’s about a ship that is sailing, and there are many cabins. And one of the people in the cabins on the lower floor decides to dig a hole in the floor of his cabin, and does so, and sure enough, the ship begins to sink. And the other passengers suddenly discover what’s going on and see this guy with a hole in the floor. And they say, “What are you doing?” And he says, “Well, it’s my cabin. I paid for it.” And down goes the ship

It’s a story that talks about human responsibility, that we’re all in the same ship together, be it in a community, a country, or closer home a family or a relationship. What does it mean for us to be that person? And where have we been only focusing on my cabin and me-me-me and where are we not part of a “we”? 

And then the question is, what is the “we,” because the boundaries of what is “we “are a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment