Friday, September 4, 2015

Communication , Yet Another Facet

While it's known fact that communication involves non verbal as also verbal communication, and both co-exist.......one Ahaa realization, was how each is like a mother tongue. Like how each of us has a clear affinity to one language, it's the language we think in, the language we're most comfortable with.

Likewise this...  the one we express best in, is the one we listen best to, too. 

Each of us has our comfort zone, a preferred mode.........and this, notwithstanding the fact that the other individual might be more comfortable with the other mode. This is where the gap between 'what one is saying' and 'what one is hearing' happens.

Just think of it as two different languages, say I speak Telugu better and the other speaks Hindi better, but because I understand Telugu better, that's where I'll focus.......I just listen and grasp better there, and most of my nuances and understandings and conclusions come from there.

To rephrase, or rather, to exemplify, if I am more at home with verbal expression, and the other individual not.....it's possible, in fact probable that she will believe what she's hearing from the non verbal communication, rather than from what I am saying, even, or especially if they appear inconsistent. I can cry myself hoarse verbally, but then, the listening is happening from elsewhere. You get that, right?

So when you have two people who are on either end, that's a lot of scope for 'lost in translation'.

I can vouch for this because I know instances where I've been caught at the wrong end of both, Fell short on listening..... and being heard incorrectly as well. Yet, why the Aha moment was still a pleasure,.........is because you now see the opportunity.

I'm a firm believer of .....'Clear articulation of the problem is 80% of the problem solved'.

So, if you can work around the issue....... understand it, accept it, then resolve it......like actually get to a process that will enable you to bridge that gap coherently, it's opportunity to up level.

This is like that learning from Google. A good crisis is a terrible thing to waste. The crisis is the built in narrative! Use it. 

Evidence apparently suggests that provided both people listen, conflict is more likely to enhance than to destroy a relationship.

A good learning opportunity is always a good thing, let's use it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment