Monday, March 23, 2015

Sound of Music

The hills fill my heart with the sound of music…….

Just that first opening line...that first scene up in the Austrian Alps, with the brilliant composition from Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein can literally fill your heart and lift it to such a high….

The Sound of Music


I must have watched this movie, and singing along too....so many times through those growing years, that when I watched yesterday I found I knew each scene and dialogue by heart, yet I enjoyed the movie all over again. 

Some of these creations are just made to last. Julia Andrews and Christopher Plummer, put so much real into the movie, that  though a lot of people think it's sugary and syrupy, I still feel it makes you believe in all the good things in the world.

She waltzes on her way to mass and whistles on the stair, she’s always late to chapel but her penetance is real…

That’s what one can wish for at any point, right? To be oneself in whatever one picks. To be able to find yourself and your meaning in whatever you do.......even when faced with a choice of the heavenly and serene love of penance or the earthy and passionate one for the captain that Maria chooses between. 

It's also got some brilliant poignant and beautiful moments. One of my top favorites and I'd say one of the most romantic by far, is one during the party, at the ball room dance when Julie Andrews is dancing outside with the younger son and Christopher Plummer comes up from behind with a 'May I' and then the dance itself, so much subtlety and depth there. It's one of those.. nothing said.. but everything palpable kinds.

Everything's done so gracefully that you don't get mad at even Eleanor Parker, the Baroness. Even her manipulations seem graceful. I know I'm going overboard, but then it is one of my forever movies :)

There’s an authenticity and quiet confidence in the characters that makes you believe you can..... 'climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow........till you find your dream' 

2 comments:

  1. A delightful movie no doubt. For me, the song, Climb every mountain.. is the most inspiring one and I hope I'm doing all of that in pursuit of my dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha...just to be able to dream...that's like the big first step !
    This is a Sadguru quote I got on mail this morning: 'The mind is a powerful instrument. Every thought, every emotion that you create changes the very chemistry of your body'.

    ReplyDelete