Thursday, April 19, 2018

A Page off Dhruva's Story

On Dhruva's film being selected at the Jaipur International Film Festival, a friend said "This will open many doors for him, this is so big, there are so many people making short films out there, and to get  a validation like this........ I don't know if you realize what a big deal it is".

I think it really hit home only then.

Where, along the way, he went from this little boy figuring what he wants to do in life, the decision, going through a tough five years of the design animation course (with some expected, and some unexpected hiccups), and then, end of college creating a film that's being recognized, within the country and beyond.

A little overwhelming almost

When he got the mail, we were in the car, and he didn't tell me right away, because "You'll get all excitable" he said. Guess I do that for a lot of things, and this one would have passed me by like any other, little realizing it is one that warrants that level of excitability.

This also came through so beautifully in Girija's comment on the post, where it evoked the whole process, right from an experience  when he was in class 11. Thanks for triggering that Girija.

I'm attempting to capture them here. 

Eighteen years old.... a turning point in life, a time when decisions are made and paths are chosen. One that will pretty much decide the course of life. So damn difficult.

As a parent, how does one enable and empower this? Bigger still, what does one enable? How do you know? How do you know what he wants? Does he himself know? Who takes the risk? How do you assess that risk? 

We all believe we are thinking the best for them. Are we?

Experience has shown that if we don't have our radars up, don't listen to those antennae when they quiver, don't apply mind and thought....and heart.....and listen.....there is a default path set. No points for guessing.....the default was Engineering. 

I'm connecting the dots in retrospect.

Dhruva has been good with drawing since he could hold a pencil. He could make a dolphin go from sad to smiling with a couple of strokes. He could convert my dog into a goat with a few deft lines. But then, many children that age are good with drawing.

The love for drawing stayed with him. As he went to higher classes, he just drew more complex stuff, dinosaurs, pokemons, dragons.....

Like Girija said, in class 11, when she asked him to draw something for her, he drew her a dragon which she found quite remarkable for a free hand, dining table drawing.

When playing PS2, he would spend as much time creating his own characters, as playing..... giving them names, traits, personalities. 

His love for films showed early....... we must have watched Jungle book, Lion King and Bambi at least a fifty times each.

As he grew he became picky about his movies....and the ones he liked, he'd go watch again and again. And often he will go alone...like to get into it with no distraction he says.

It amazes me how deep he goes into understanding them. Be it concept, or character, or lighting..... it would be so very layered. I'd listen open mouthed when he'd talk films, at times losing the flow. But he won't let off. To my embarrassment, he'll ask questions and then I'll hear 'amma, weren't you listening? you don't get it or what? now understood? 

Music scores. They seemed to matter as much as the film. Back when he was little, I would want to play 'I spy with my little eye' and he would be 'no amma, I'll humm, you tell which movie'. They would all be theme music from films, not songs. (I'd struggle, as I don't have such a keen ear for music, and definitely not for theme music...I'm a lyrics person see. Half the time I'd be guessing, knowing his list of favourites :)

Post 10th, first decision making phase....I took them off CBSE (11th and 12th CBSE is extremely rigorous), as I wanted a light two years of academics.... to help them dabble around, tune into themselves some more. A gamble that paid off in full.

I distinctly recall the day, 11th class summer vacation.....I was sitting on the couch and reading and Dhruva walks up and says "I've decided amma, I want to do animation"

We spoke and we spoke and we spoke. He knew.

And then started two definitive efforts. One, the inevitable war at home, with family and extending to well meaning friends. Trust me, swimming against tide isn't easy. I recall one friend even saying "you're not just being adamant, you're even being stupid.....think about him, not yourself". How to convince them that that was exactly what I was doing.... scared and concerned, but still doing.

And for all those who got it, who supported, many many thanks....you wouldn't know how much those words of encouragement meant.

And two, the research of where and how..... getting in touch with anybody who knows anybody connected with animation. I had sheets and sheets of research on it :). The belief that once the decision is taken, put all energies into process. 

And thus started the journey......

1 comment:

  1. So glad you did this post. Well meaning relatives and friends seem to think that we take a easy path by giving in to the child's options rather than not going with the tide. This post will show how much more difficult and challenging is this path. And also the joys from this path out beats any kinda of happiness. Not a question of success or failure. A creativity process and output from our children is as exhilarating as giving birth to them. Thanks Smitha for articulating it so positively.

    ReplyDelete