Sunday, September 10, 2017

Tanu Weds Manu + Returns

I binge watched 'Tanu Weds Manu' and 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'.

It was my initiation into Netflix, something I've had on my list for a long while now. Considering how much movie watching I do, I'm now surprised I've let it be for so long. Was it inertia, economics, usage, alternatives, ignorance....I'm almost curious on what drove that (in) decision. That later, let me stay with 'Tanu and Manu' for now.

Tanu weds Manu

And it is just that..it's the intense and wild Tanu (Kangana Renaut) and subdued and mild Manu ( R Madhavan) that really make this movie. And yes, also the gallis and haveli's of Kanpur and Lucknow.

Related image

Manu, a sober and serious, NRI doctor returns from London looking for a bride. His first pelli choopulu and he falls for this small town seemingly docile, (and sedated) girl. She's anything but. She's  in love with a small town goonda. She'll like this wild cat, full of nerve and gumption, and though we don't get the direction, there's an underlying endearing quality to it.

They both lived their roles and created a movie where there was none.

Tanu weds Manu Returns

The second movie starts four years after the marriage. 

Related image

It starts in a divorce court, and goes through more drama. The  movie does raise some relevant questions, but doesn't make a serious effort at answering them.  Is being bored reason enough for a divorce? What is? Through a best friend....is it okay to use artificial insemination through another guy and not tell your husband because he doesn't understand?

We also have Kangana as Kusum, a Tanu look alike.  What was refreshing is that this other girl is also similar, a small town girl (kapurthala), also brash and bold (unlike the stereotype opposites). Full credit to Kangana's acting here.

One other mention I have to make is the cinematography, Chitaranjan Das ( I searched out the name) who makes the small towns of deep north come alive. It actually reminded me of a Woody Allen in that he typically makes the cities almost become a character in his films.

It's a full on drama film(s)......yet a good one time watch . 

No comments:

Post a Comment