Monday, September 25, 2017

When Nostalgia Overwhelmed

A chance occurrence.....leading to a lovely experience.

A chance occurrence that got me to a visit to Andhra Mahila Sabha with mom, (I just went as chauffeur). In fact mom was like, it's fine I'll just do cab or auto, and I'm so glad I insisted that I go.

Mom retired from AMS all of fifteen years back, and it was so wonderful to be part of that scene where so many folks came up to her and said such lovely things about her and her time there. 


In fact one which really brought a smile was Pentamma, one of the sweepers who was at the nursing school enclosure; she said "అమ్మ గేట్ దెగర కనిపించగానే పరిగెత్తి చీపరులు పాతుకునేవాళము" (when we saw her coming even from a distance, we'd run and pick up our brooms). Another lady said something about how she learnt commitment and integrity at work just from watching mom those years. 



Such a feel good factor.

Then the absolute coup. My ammamma (grandmom) also worked at AMS. She was warden to the nursing hostel and lived in a room there, in which I've spent many a school holiday there living with her in that kutti room.

That enclosure, that building, the trees even are all exactly the same. It was like stepping back in time. I could almost feel the presence of ammamma, the way her room smelt, and gopi (her dog) and the morning and evening prayers she'd conduct for the nursing students each day. It was an unparalleled space of tranquility and joy and meaning. A cherished moment.


We walked around...went into the kitchen where I remember I used to go searching for chintha ginjalu (tamarind seeds) to play vamana guntalu or pallanghulli, a traditional board game that I've spent hours and hours with, with ammamma, or rani, or any of the nursing students who'd indulge me. I still have the board with me. In fact ammamma only got it made for me.


Ammamma, your presence there was so overpowering that I almost wanted to drive to wherever you were for that one more hug. If only.

Mom did what was next best, or rather let's say 'real life' best........we went to Balaji and had the world's best samosa. Apparently my great grandfather, which must be like in the nineteen forties, would always get samosas only from this Balaji. And he's still there, upgraded and all but man...amazing samosas. I felt I understood my thatha that little bit more :)

Thanks ma, so so glad I came. And in case I didn't tell you then, being there with you ....hearing all those wonderful things people had to say about you....all over again made me so proud of you ma.

2 comments:


  1. |


    https://media.tenor.co/images/9da708671ca80cb3ea4d67614cf6dfd9/raw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girija, that hug was super cute..but apparently blogger doesn't welcome those configs :)

    ReplyDelete