Saturday, December 3, 2016

A Cup of Tea

Why just a cup of tea became worth writing about......

Well, for the very first time I got called an angel, and I did no manifesting of a horse carriage, or horses, or horsemen, or ball gown :)

The anecdote itself : I got to Parivarthan a little before my scheduled appointment, and sitting in the veranda was Fariha, furiously writing away...she's yet completing some notes for her supervision. As I was going in to make myself some tea, basic courtesy,  I asked her if she'd like me to make her a cup as well. 



And she was like मेरे लिए...आप बनाओगी, मेरेलिया चाय बनाओगी?  (for me..you'll make tea for me? ).... Well ofcourse...and I got her a cup of tea.

And then she was like 'इतनी प्यारी कप में लयेहो , मैंने थो इतनी प्यारे कप कभी नहीं देखा .बहुत अच्छा लग रहा है .'

After my tea was done, she was like मेरी कप से पिखे देखो कितना अच्छा लग रहा  (drink from my cup and see how good the tea is) . For a second I was amazed....I was wondering what....I'd not only just had my tea, but I'd even made the tea you know.....but I quickly realized she was serious. She insisted I take a sip from her cup, saying the prettiness of the cup had made the tea that much better. And she speaks in that lilting and soft bhopal hindi which made it that much more beautiful.

And then she said it  'आप ने न, आज एक angel की तरह आये, में इतनी स्ट्रेस्ड थी, और चाय खा थो ख्याल भी नहीं आया था मुझे ' ( You came like an angel, i was so stressed, I hadn't even thought of tea). And there was such genuine gratitude in her eyes, that the look and feel of that cup of tea, and more of Fariha, just stayed with me.

Guess some people just have that innate capacity to make the other feel good. She had it in abundance. Thanks for enabling that experience Fariha, and I think you'll make a wonderfully genuine and warm counselor.

3 comments:

  1. Good Morning Smitha :)
    Well what I can say more about the article....the experience itself is worth remembering for me as well....That day I had a heavy session with my counsellor, so I was sitting with a lot on my plate...Alone...all by myself. There you came n offered me your company. I have heard people saying small gestures and kindness go a long way in shaping perception of oneself and of others too. Thank you for being so kind and thoughtful to put your feelings in words. I read the article to Kashif as well !!
    I am so touched. Waiting to give you a tight bear hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a perfect example of how goodness reciprocated can pull us all into a virtuous cycle of a better state of mind. I can so easily see an ungrateful person ruin the moment. Compliments to both of you for knowing how to give and receive love and kindness.

    ReplyDelete