Sunday, December 6, 2015

I Perceive..... as I Express

I'm hoping to better that title...but it's an aha moment that I just had to capture 

I perceive .....the way I express; meaning, I understand only the 'language' I use to express myself in

Language is used as analogy here. Say I speak only one language..... I naturally also understand only that language. I speak English, so I understand English. Simple enough.

This holds true as much in the communication of feelings and emotions. The form of expression I use, is the one I naturally understand. ( words, actions, behavior..... we're talking the predominant one used in intense emotional situations)

Emotions are feelings.....and everybody feels. to a lesser or to a higher degree.

The ones who articulate into words..... understand the language of words above anything else. What's said or unsaid by the other, is bigger than what's seen. 

Likewise, the ones who express through behavior rather than words..... understand from behavior above anything else. And what's being said by the other may not be perceived as the truth, when it actually is.

The truth maybe in a space they aren't connecting to. And so stands to be potentially lost, or worse, misinterpreted.

One form of empathy could be to tune into the other's form of expression. Perceive that there's a different language being used here. Get into a space I don't understand. 

Seemingly simple, but think about it....can make all the difference in understanding between two people who come with different approaches.

In Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goldman says.....'Emotions are the center of aptitudes for living, and our abilities in this sphere can preserve our most prized relationships, or their lack can corrode them.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment