Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The 'Photo Finish' Story

When we were just three days from Dhruva's travel date, and the visa wait was in nail biting space, I was like "well, you already have a solid track record of photo finishes with visas.....  fingers crossed, it works again"

And he's like "what's a photo finish? I've never heard that phrase"

I was like "well, you're one guy who needs to know"

Brother and Sister went off for quality time together the night before

Cause not just his visa, even the boarding of his flight was a 'photo finish'.

We're headed to the airport, and as always we are in a 'just on time' frame. A just on time is a misleading phrase, because it comes true only in retrospect. 

Why? because when we're getting there, there's the zero flexibility.....and the uncertainty. Anything goes awry and you're done for. Guess it takes the enthusiasm and faith of youth to trust that it won't. Amazing how many fast drives I've done with him to the airport.

Almost each time I'm doing it, the thought in my head would be "maybe if he misses his flight once, he'll learn" but the funny thing is he's done a lot of travel, and that's yet to happen, and forget learning, he's only getting more practiced at it . Sigh.

Anyways, as story goes this time round the mess was with the terminals. Hyderabad airport now has two terminals, one for local and one for international. He was flying local till Mumbai. And there's been enough and more heard of Air India being from International and people missing their flights and so on.....so all the way to the airport everyone was on the phone trying to find out which terminal his flight was from (again last minute :). All sources of information said international.

Well, it wasn't. I don't think I'll ever forget the sight of him running out of that terminal all the way to the car, when we could see and sense his stress in entirety.

Drive to local terminal. Drop off.

He calls in half hour to say "the security guys had me take out all wiring from my back pack, (and that must have been crazy as he had so much filming equipment, including lights and recorders) and when I got to the gate they were announcing my name...... and also trying to reach me on the phone.........it really was photo finish amma".

1 comment:

  1. Next week I'm too it will be same story. The stress will come when he will be responsible for a co Traveller. Then fun begins when the other person is a photo finisher.😁

    ReplyDelete