Monday, September 9, 2019

Cosmos - Neil De Grasse Tyson

'Awed', seems a small word.

The beginning I guess would be my dad. Even when I was little, on our post dinner walks, asking me "which star is that?" "show me Sirius" "Is that a star or a planet" "can you spot Gemini?" "which constellation is that?"..........and thus sowing that deep sense of wonder for the universe beyond. 

I remember my fascination for 'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan, on TV over thirty years ago. I would wait for Sundays just for the program. Those were days when you miss it and it's gone, no youtube, no video, no recording, nothing.

Astronomy not just fascinated me, it had me take up an 'amateur course in Astronomy'. One of my most enjoyed courses ever. Zero purpose.....just fascination.

Over the years, life took over...and that interest may have dipped, but never really waned.

Yesterday, a client, Maya (name changed for reasons of confidentiality) showed me her new tattoo with great excitement.

's t a r s t u f f'

We got into an intense discussion on astronomy and philosophy.... and she told me that her tattoo was inspired by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Creator of the documentary  'Cosmos'. 


I watched the first episode today.  And Oh my god....it had me moving between goose bumps and awe and even tears. 

I fully understood why she'd go get it tattoo'd.

And what's more, he was mentored by none other than Carl Sagan himself. It's thirty years down, with all that science knows today......and I'm hooked all over again. It's a national geographic's docuseries of several seasons, and I'm so cherishing each moment with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment