Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ek raat gaane ki

Girija and me decided to mark my move to Bangalore with a night devoted to old hindi gaane. The date was fixed well before I even moved, and inspite of constraints that came up later, as they are so wont to do, we stuck to plan. She did the downloading and I bought deadly speakers the evening before,  I just wanted it right, and it was so worth it.

We started at 9 pm and went upto 2 am, with pauses only for song related stuff, no other talking. That was rule. Girija simply amazed me with her knowledge of detail. She knew not only singer, composer, lyricist, but also the movie, actor, actress and at times the scene, and in one song she blew me when she said they were rosy and something in the movie. Gosh, god knows what that information is worth, but it was still super impressive.

It started with dil ke jharoke mein tujko bitaakar…which apparently Girija was playing for me......:)

I can’t help but mention a few of the songs, cause I know just reading these lines evokes such fond feelings

Tere binaa zindagi se koyi……..from aandhi, which is one of my all time favourites
And there were tons of Rafi’s
Suhani raat dal chuke, na jaane tum kab aaogi……
Khoya khoya chaand,  khulaa aasman….. ankhon mein saari raat jayegii ……
Likhe jo khat tujhe, wo teri yaad mein, hazaaro rang ke nazaare bangaye…….
Hum bekhudi mein tum ko pukare chalegaye…..saagar mein zindagi ko uttare chalegaye

To me this is like second phase of getting music back into life. When I was going for the ten days of vipassana, my mom said, I can understand the no speaking, no reading, no phone, no dinner, but no music? I can't survive that. And I get what she means.

The night of music immersion was an amazing experience, so much so, we’ve decided to do it once every month… insha allah

2 comments:

  1. Oh am so jealous!!

    But awesome that you did it again. My recommendations for your next sessions -

    1. Kahin dur jub din dhal Jaye
    2. Arziyaan from Delhi 6
    3. Mera kuch saman
    4. Eh zindagi gale lagale
    5. Tujhse naraz nahi zindagi
    6. Neela asaman so gaya
    7. Khoya khoya Chand
    8. Main zindagi ka saath
    9. Main pal do pal ka shayar noon
    10. Pyar ko pyar hi rehne do koi naam na do

    The list is endless but just couldn't stop typing these :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, these songs are soulful and capable of eventually transforming our consciousness.

    ReplyDelete