Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Talk on Counselling

Yesterday morning was spent giving a talk at one of the larger corporates in the city. They are having a 'safety week' for their employees, and it was such a lovely surprise to see them flag it off with a session on 'emotional wellness'.

9 cities logged in....me at bottom right taking the picture before we started 

My talk was ofcourse about the role of 'Counselling' in emotional wellness.  Right from how life is dynamic....the graph will go up and down.....how we can get stuck in our own thought spirals at times... how that can lead to stress...and how while most times we cope, there's times it creates baggage.....and that can have undesired consequences. 

That's when 'sometimes help helps' fits.

What it takes to identify when we're crossing our own thresholds, and without our even knowing it, impact getting into deeper levels, and how counselling plays a role in enabling clarity, insights, better decision making, dealing with emotions and yes, all towards emotional wellness.

The company was doing this across the country, several sessions. My talk was to folks from Guntur, Rajahmundry, Vizag, Tirupati, Nellore, Eluru and Vijayawada..all on video conference. It was quite an experience for me as I'd never spoken to such a large audience before, around 2500, and what's more, it was in Telugu.

While during the talk it's hard to understand how engaged the audience is on video conference, I was so happy to see that they'd connected from the questions they had after.

And some very interesting and valid questions at that:

One guy was like "We are unhappy ...we come and talk to you......you'll help us understand....but the fault is actually my team mates...he's doing the wrong thing....then what ?"

Another " I'm from marketing....my customer is difficult....my sales guy makes a mistake...I get very angry....I come back and shout at the sales guy.....when I shout I feel relief.....how ?"

I enjoyed taking those questions.....just to be able to directly connect into the audience was so nice after the complex video conferencing.

What became also special is a deeper connect I have with the company...going back a long long way.... one I felt through goose bumps as I walked in their doors.

The company is huge, very swanky, high tech........felt a lot like walking into Google.

Why the goosebumps?

Because I was part of the company's birth. Year 2000, when the company was set up as a broad band company and the application came to me in IDBI (as I was already handling the parent company)

Those were days we knew nothing about optic fiber or broad band, they were new words......wifi was not even part of vocabulary, even wired connectivity was new. The application was such a challenge, and it took me, and Prakash my team mate, a crazy level of research to even put up an appraisal note.

If all other notes were about ten pages long, this one was thirty pages long, and we sent it up with a lot of apprehension wondering who would even read, so it was a lovely surprise when we got a lot of commendation from management . Even the recall brings a smile :)

What I experienced was actually that deep connect, almost bordering on pride....being part of the birthing team, and to now see where they had grown today. I was awestruck....A lovely feeling. Made more so by Sheeba, from their HR team, who was standing right at the entrance with the biggest bunch of roses I've ever seen :)

While I forgot to take a picture of either Sheeba or the bunch, the small part of it I could fit into my vase at home needed to come out here :)


Thanks much 'Innersight', Mahesh and Ajanta for having enabled this for me, was a wonderful and enriching experience for sure !

No comments:

Post a Comment