Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Facilitate......Don't Teach

It is said that when a student is ready, the teacher appears

Yesterday Dhruva says he needs to buy two books, and imagine my surprise when he says he needs to buy ‘Magic by Rhonda Byrne’ and ‘Ýou can heal your life by Louisa Hayes’. I’m staring open mouthed…. because just two weeks back I’d given him the same book to read and he’d said no.  What changed? Now he’s like, my teacher from school messaged me with these two books asking me to read them, and I need to.

In fact I remember Diksha’s reaction when her teacher (same school, so same teacher ) asked her to do an assignment on ‘Magic’ three years back. She read it, and said ‘Ít’s the same kind of crap you talk about ma’.

It used to upset me when they’d brush aside what I thought I was teaching them. But now I know it’s about facilitating it. It’s like that example of the bean seed. You would do good to provide it the requisites; the water, the sunshine, the soil, and it knows best the when and what it needs to optimize itself….you can only provide, you can’t make it grow. Likewise, you can at best make available the teachings, and the learnings happen when they have to and on their own…….

2 comments:

  1. When the mind is receptive learning will happen from any one and at any point of time.

    ReplyDelete